Payment of tuition fees

Once you have received your Offer Letter you will need to make arrangements for your tuition fees (and accommodation deposit if required) to be paid to the College. Advance payment of tuition fees is particularly important for overseas students because it gives credibility to the subsequent visa application.

It is important to remember that your signed Enrolment Form must accompany or arrive soon after your tuition fees. We cannot send out a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) until we have received it.

There are four methods of payment: Bank transfer, Bank draft / Cheque, Credit Card and Cash.

Bank transfer: This is an ideal way to send fees from overseas. It is secure, quick and straightforward. When sending funds by bank transfer, the sending bank will require the following West London College bank details:

Bankers draft/cheque: Bankers drafts should be made payable to West London College and be sent by courier or registered post to ensure security, along with a signed copy of the Enrolment Form.

Credit Card: (we accept Visa, MasterCard, Switch and Solo but not American Express or Diners Club)

This method of payment is recommended for cardholders in the UK. It is secure (Chip and Pin), cheap (there are no bank charges) and quick (a cheque will take 5 working days to clear). To pay by card, please come in to the College. If this is not possible please call the College and ask to speak to a Course Advisor.

Cash: Payments in cash need to be made by visiting the College in person.

Paying fees in instalments: Paying fees in instalments is an option for UK and EU students from the outset and for overseas students who already have a study visa. If a tuition fee is paid in instalments it adds £150 to the cost of one year of study, so a first year undergraduate programme will cost £6110 instead of £5960, and an MBA semester will cost £3050 rather than £2975. The minimum initial tuition fee deposit will be stated on the Offer Letter and is usually the first years tuition fees.


Visa application

Overseas applicants who are not citizens of the European Union or European Economic Area must obtain a study visa before they can enter the UK as a student by making an application to there nearest British Embassy or High Commission. For a visa application to be successful the applicant must demonstrate that they have been accepted by a recognised academic institution (which West London College is) and that they have enough money available to cover the fees and living expenses for the duration of the course. Applications are made in writing, and decided on the basis of the information given on the application form and the accompanying documents.

Information from the CAS issued by the College (or Heriot-Watt University in the case of degree applications) on receipt of tuition fees should be copied on to the visa application form and submitted with evidence that at least £9,000 is available for use as living expenses for the first year of study plus any unpaid balance of the first year’s tuition fees.

This evidence should normally be in the form of a bank statement showing that the money has been in the account for a minimum of 28 days prior to the date of application. The bank account must either be in the name of the student or in the name of a parent, but not in the name of an aunt, uncle or sibling. If the account is in a foreign currency the final balance must be converted into British pounds using the following website and then handwritten beside the final balance on the statement. Alternatively, students can show documentary evidence of a loan in their name, or a scholarship. Further information about the visa application procedure will be sent with the CAS and is also obtainable from the College website or from College representatives.

Please note that in the event of a visa refusal, where the student does not wish to make a fresh application, all fees paid to the College will be refunded in full, less the £100 registration fee.


Booking accommodation

The College offers accommodation on request in one of 12 hostels around West London, all of which are within easy reach of the College. New students are offered a choice of double or dormitory rooms at weekly rents ranging from £108.50 to £136. Some single rooms are available but these are in demand and not available to new students.

These hostels offer half board accommodation, which means that breakfast & evening meal are included, as is the cost of heating, lighting, etc. For new students, the hostels provide excellent first year accommodation and a ‘soft landing’ in London.

To book a hostel place, students must initially pay an accommodation deposit of £300 with their advance payment of tuition fees and then wait until they have a visa and have booked a flight. They must then fax / email the Accommodation Booking Form (sent out with the CAS when the tuition fee deposit is paid) to the Student Services department using the Parliament House contact details on the back cover of this prospectus. This should be done at least 72 hours in advance of arrival, and may be subject to a cancellation fee.


Working in London

Many students regard working in London part-time whilst on course and full-time during the holidays, as an important element of their education, and the College fully supports this view.

Employers like to see some work experience on your CV; it means that you have already adapted to the rigour of a commercial environment and it demonstrates that you have the drive and energy to take on something extra while you are studying. There are many ‘blue chip’ companies within walking distance of the College that employ students, including world-class retailers, hotel chains and tourist attractions. It is one of the benefits of a city centre campus location, and West London College probably has the best city centre campus location in the UK in this respect.

Overseas students who require a visa to enter the UK to study are subject to UK Government restrictions and may not work whilst on our lower level courses: Undergraduate Diploma, Foundation Diploma, or English Language programmes. However, those on Heriot-Watt University degree programmes at the College may work 20 hours per week during term time and unlimited hours during vacation periods.

The ‘Job Shop’: The Job Shop is a service run by the Department Administrators from the Tuition Support Centre at Parliament House which provides assistance to students who are seeking employment either while they are on course or upon graduation. The Job Shop can assist with CVs and covering letters, application forms and interview preparation. The staff maintain contact with local businesses to ensure that the availability of West London College students for part-time and vacation work is well known in the locality. They also offer a careers advice service to final year students and can provide information on job opportunities for graduates.


Passports & visas

The College is pleased to help students with passport and visa formalities. If a student’s visa is due to expire whilst he or she is still studying the College authorities will arrange an extension.



Overseas students who are in the UK for 6 months or longer are entitled to medical treatment under the National Health Service and therefore medical insurance is not necessary. We do advise, however, that students register with a doctor as soon as they arrive in London.


Living expenses & banking

Many parents prefer the College to administer student living expenses because it allows the student to concentrate on his or her studies without having to worry about money matters. It also helps eliminate the problem of overspending. It works very simply. The parent or sponsor deposits the living expenses with the College Bursar who will then release the money to the student on a weekly basis in accordance with instructions given. Rent cheques, for example, can be made payable directly to their hostel and examination fees can be held in reserve. (Note: This is, of course, subject to the student being in funds with the College and so please ensure that funds are sent to the College well in advance of their being required as considerable unnecessary distress can be caused to students whilst waiting for living expenses to arrive from overseas). There is no charge for this service which is entirely optional.


Progress reports

The College will send these, if required, to the student’s nominee – e.g. parent, guardian or employer. Students who wish to take advantage of this service should advise the College of the name and address of the person to whom reports are to be sent.

Terms & Conditions

  1. Students from outside the European Economic Community are reminded that they must attend classes regularly in order to comply with United Kingdom immigration requirements. Absences through ill health must be supported by a medical certificate.
  2. The College is unable to supply references or attendance certificates to students who attend less than 85% of their classes.
  3. Whilst tuition fees are not normally refundable, if a prospective overseas student is unable to obtain a student visa and can submit written evidence of this (British Immigration form GV51), tuition fees will be refunded in full, less the £100 registration fee.
  4. Where an overseas student has been issued with a study visa and subsequently (and successfully) applies for exemption from their course or any part of their course, any consequent surplus of tuition fees will be transferred automatically to a higher level course if one is available, or else refunded on successful completion of the course.
  5. Once a student has commenced a course of study he/she may only drop out and subsequently restart at no extra cost if leave of absence has been granted by the Principal or Deputy Principal.
  6. The College reserves the right to cancel or postpone a course, or part of a course, if there is insufficient demand or make changes to duration or syllabus content
  7. If a student needs to retake an examination and would like to repeat that part of the course, then he/she may do so at 50% of the pro-rata tuition fee. Further discounts may be available for those students who have demonstrated high levels of attendance and compliance with coursework requirements
  8. No classes will take place on Public Holidays and no refund is made for classes scheduled to take place on these days.
  9. The College does not offer scholarships, however children of former WLC full-time students are entitled to a 50% reduction in tuition fees for Undergraduate Diploma and Foundation Diploma programmes.
  10. The details contained in this prospectus are correct at the time of going to print but are subject to alteration.